Tonight was pizza night in Dohlchester. Since Keith worked in a pizza parlor (like his brothers before him), this doesn’t mean calling Domino’s or even Papa John’s, but rather a homemade pie with even the dough from scratch.
Here is our dough recipe. You can tell we make it often, since this recipe is memorized!
Place, in order, into the bread machine pan and set for dough cycle:
Keith’s tips for a great homemade pizza:
- Use a preheated pizza stone, like you can get from Pampered Chef, with a little cornmeal down to keep it from sticking
- Put the cheese on first – not the sauce! Mozzarella is a favorite for all, but grate some white American (we get ours from the deli) for about 50% of your cheese.
- Still no sauce – add fresh garlic and pepperonis for a classic pie.
- NOW the sauce. Water down commercial sauces to spoon evenly over the toppings. “Sauce down” your pepperonis so the don’t get too crispy.
- Bake for about 20 minutes at 400 degrees (if no wheat flour is used, decrease temperature and time slightly).
Kaitlyn loves Pizza Nights. When we make it from scratch it’s hard to say no, since we know it’s a lot healthier than ordering out (it’s a lot like giving her a ham and cheese sandwich).